Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Wish Come True

Dear Big Sister (no pun intended),

It is said that to be older is to be wiser.  I beg to differ.  Let me explain.

When we were younger I broke my leg.  You were jealous.  You thought I was faking.  I wasn't faking.  And if I was faking I did such an amazing job that I was rewarded with 3 surgeries on that broken leg and an Oscar.  Why oh why didn't you believe me?  I remember you getting so angry with me because of the gifts and attention I received from family and friends that you hit my casted leg with your fist.  (I'm shaking my head just thinking about it.)  Did it hurt your hand?  Probably.  So, so sad, sister.  I can see you now as a child wishing on birthday candles and shooting stars for the joy of a broken leg.  Kind of pathetic if you ask me.  Crutches aren't all they're cracked up to be.  They equal raw sweaty armpits and slipping on wet floors.  It's not pretty.

Is it true that you were so jealous of my injury that you jumped off the neighbor's trampoline attempting to break your own leg?  (still shaking my head)  If only we had known of your emotional damage earlier we may have been able to get you help.  But here we are, nearly 20 years later and you still can't move on, can you?  But dropping a sprinkler on your foot?  Really?  Oh well.  There's nothing I can do about it and not much to say except, congratulations.  You finally got what you wished for.  Good luck limping on that swollen club.  And next time, be careful what you wish for. 

With love,

Little Sister

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Laughing so hard right now!! Miss you both like crazy!!

The Garners said...

Oh, this post was complete perfection. I have missed that senior photo...and I think I'll print it off and put it on my nightstand. The denim shirt, the JCPenny arm fold. It's all just amazing.

And I adore the entire rant about broken legs. I always wanted a broken leg. And I just about got one when Tana Yonk taught me to jump our of the swing onto the black-top. Thank goodness for Mrs. Mauchley. She went to fetch help immediately. (but since she was at least 90...I doubt it was actually that fast) Unfortunately, just 2 bad sprains. But I did get crutches...and they bruised my armpits. Not as much fun as I thought.

I will enjoy seeing what kind of payback is coming your way.

I'm off to print my new nightstand art....