Friday, August 6, 2010

My Brain

This is what the human brain looks like or what it's suppose to look like.  My brain is slightly different.  How do I know?  I just know.  I haven't seen it, but I'm confident that it's missing something.  You're all laughing and nodding aren't you?  If you've met me or read my blog then you know that what I say is true.  My husband has always said that I'm missing the filter between my brain and my mouth.  And since my lack of filter has been and will be a topic of conversation/explanation my entire married life, I figured the least I could do was give that missing body part a name.  I've named it my dribble.  I'm missing a dribble.  Why a dribble?  Because I went to the trusty thesaurus and typed in "filter" and the word dribble showed up.  And out of all two dozen synonyms for "filter", the word dribble just called out to me.  It's catchy, quirky, and weird enough to be added to my brain anatomy.  It just flows with Hypothalamus and Pineal body don't you think?  ("pineal".... hee-hee!  That's a funny word!)

Well, due to the lack of a dribble I have said things on more than one occasion that were offensive or inappropriate.  I don't even notice.  Sometimes after we've been in a social setting and my husband finally gets me alone he will say something to the effect of, "That was really inappropriate", or "I can't believe you said that!  How embarrassing!"  Only at that moment does the light click on and I think, "Ohhhhhhhhh....." with a really enlightened look on my face.  It's kind of a delayed reaction.  Ya know, due to the lack of dribble.

Occasionally what I say unthinkingly really bothers me after I realize what I've said.  I don't mean to be inappropriate.  I don't want to hurt other people's feelings.  But unfortunately it happens more times than not.  I recently had an experience where I stuck my nose in another person's business and tried giving advice that wasn't mine to give.  It was really out of line.  Oops.  My bad.  Are we still friends?  If not, does it count that I lack a dribble? 

No comments: