Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Uglies

Vomit.  Such an ugly word.  Such an ugly thing.  But yet something we can all relate to in some way.  Whether we're the ones puking, the ones holding back a sick one's hair, or the parent up all night clean up the vomit, we've all been introduced to the ugly. 

Diarrhea.  The cousin to vomit.  Such an ugly word (and hard to spell).  Such an ugly thing.  But once again, something we can all relate to.

It's summertime.  Summertime!  Why, oh why, are my kids sick?  We are suppose to be outside swimming, running through sprinklers and eating popsicles faster than they can melt.  Not this week.  Two of my four monkeys are under the weather, which makes for some long days and even longer nights for all of us.  Let me recap my night for you.  "The uglies" have officially outworn their welcome.

8:30 PM - put kids to bed
8:35 PM - consul whining child and put kids to bed, again
8:37 PM - tell kids more sternly to go to bed (while I'm playing a game on the IPhone)
8: 55 PM - yell softly at kids to go to bed (I'm losing patience, and my game is waiting)
9:00 PM - snuggle sick child and then send them to bed (back to the IPhone)
9:15 PM - give pep talk to other sick child and send back to bed (I really need some alone time...back to the game)
9:18 PM - run to the bathroom to hold hair for sick child who is crying and hunched over the toilet
9:20 PM - help child clean up after "the ugly", brush teeth, wash hands, blow nose, comb hair and then send off to bed (and rush back to the IPhone)
9:30 PM - put in a movie for sick child who can't sleep
10:00 PM - watch The Office (no interruptions)
10:30 PM - watch another episode of The Office but turn it off early to go to bed
10:50 PM - finally doze off.....Zzzzzzzzz
11:00 PM - wake up to loud noise....run upstairs to find whining sick children screaming and crying (oh sleep how I miss you already)
11:10 PM - back to bed for all of us.....again
12:00 AM - wake up to kids in my room telling me to hurry....someone is crying upstairs
12:01 AM - run upstairs in a drunken sleepless state (how many stairs are there again?)
12:07 AM - head back to my own bed after kids are all settled and snuggled in (pretty sure I ran into a wall on my way back to my room)
2:00 AM - sick kids crying again....hurry...running upstairs in my sleep (not pretty and not safe)
2:08 AM - back down the stairs counting them as I go.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,.....  Ouch!  Missed that one! (curse word)
5:00 AM - repeat

It's amazing how much I love my monkeys even when they drive me crazy, keep me disheveled with sleep deprivation, and fill my world with "the uglies" and crying all night long.  Who knew that love was so strong?  And as much as it breaks my heart to see them so uncomfortable and sick, it truly tests my patience.  But we're on the up and up!  Today is going to be a good day.  We all slept in til after 10 AM, there has been less whining and "ugliness" this morning and I've got Diet Coke chilling in the fridge.  No worries.  Happy day.

PS -- Watch out for "the uglies" at your house.  I hear they're making the rounds.

2 comments:

Drapers said...

Isn't it funny how when they get the "uglies" it is usually in the middle of the night and almost back to normal in the morning.

KarKar said...

I gladly keep waiting for that to happen with our babies... You're a good momma!

K