Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chair of Bowlies


I thought it was suppose to be, "Life is just a bowl of cherries". 
(I love M.E.)

Well, either way, my sister and I (yes the one with the gimpy foot, who is mad about my last blog post BTW) went cherry picking today.  Have you ever heard someone called a "cherry picker" before?  Well, we weren't those kind of cherry pickers.  We literally picked cherries.  See, there is this totally rad chicka who has these randomly delicious sour cherry trees in her backyard.  Are sour cherries good?  Not really.  They are sour (duh!)  But what you can make from them is incredible.  And not only do they create yummy homemade treasures, but they are beautiful.

Sour cherry jelly is da bomb!  Seriously!  No joke!  Double D!  (that stands for double delicious)  And as monotonous as it was to pick one cherry at a time and drop it in a humongous bowl that never seemed to fill, we filled two big bowls of pretty little cherries.  (high 5 sista!)  Those little gems will be juiced and pectinized (yes I make up words) to make beautiful red yumminess.  Maybe, just maybe, if you're nice to me I will give you some.  (I would really like some followers on my blog...hint...hint.)  Once you've joined the Sour Cherry Jelly Fan Club (say that 5 times fast) there's no going back.  Trust me.  It's addictive.  And it is said that the pie filling made from these precious sour cherries is quite delectable also. 

Thank you SIL and BIL for letting us have at your trees.  Thank you Gimp Sister for chillin' with me today and picking cherries.  And thank you Blue Ball canning book for making me feel a little bit like Caroline Ingles.  It's a dream come true.

Let the canning begin!!!

2 comments:

Tris said...

Woot! Woot! Look at those there perty cherries in that white bowl! Can't wait for the Double D jam!

The Garners said...

Dudes...I just spent a TON of money on pie cherries at the farmer's market. Boo!

But I guarantee that our cheesecake is gonna be amazing!

Jam? Sounds divine. I love pie cherries.