Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hidden Camera

I like reality TV.  I have often thought that I should be on reality TV.  The "Amazing Race" is one show that really intrigues me.  And I've wondered how I would manage on "Wipeout" jumping on the big blue balls.  One of my peeps suggested making a reality TV show about our group of friends and our families.  (You know who you are and I still think it's a good idea).  Between all seven of us ladies in this group and our families, we were confident that there would be plenty of entertainment.  But then when I watch reality TV like "Supernanny" and Dr. Phil when he hides cameras in someone's house to analyze their marriage or parenting skills, I realize that I am not fit to have my life documented live.  Seriously think about it.  Next time you pick your nose, scratch your butt, let one rip, spank your kids, or have a dance party in the kitchen, be very very glad that there isn't a camera capturing your every move.  This thought popped into my head while I was running on the treadmill today.  I was getting bored and trying really hard to make it past mile one, so I started dancing.  I like to dance when I run.  It's especially fun on the treadmill and it reminds me of Phoebe on "Friends" when she runs like a moron through the park.  I played the air drums, the air guitar, did a couple of split leaps, and sang my little heart out.  It made my run much more fun.  But I got thinking, "what if someone was watching me?".  I would've been embarrassed for sure. 

Sometimes when I'm shopping, especially at a mall, I find myself dancing to the music that is playing in the stores.  I had never noticed this habit until a couple of years ago when I went on a girl's weekend to Vegas with my "cakies" (aka "girlfriends").  We were shopping in the Guess store and I was bopping along to the beat having a grand old time.  Ya know that saying, "marching to the beat of their own drum"?  That was me.  And one of my friends pointed it out.  I was a little embarrassed and tried not to do it anymore.  But I couldn't help it.  It was clearly a habit.  So I embraced it.  And I didn't care.  I guarantee whoever was monitoring the cameras for the store that day was not only entertained by my quirkiness but equally embarrassed.  Whatever.  (said with attitude of course)

So today I would like to express how grateful I am that I have my privacy.  I can dance when and how I please.  I can beat my kids till my heart's content.  I can cut the cheese freely, ignore my mountain of laundry without shame and eat whenever and whatever I want with or without manners.  Live it up today, boys and girls.  Nobody will ever know.  Not only are you not being followed by cameras, but even if you were, nobody cares what you're doing.  They're all busy watching "real" reality TV trying to figure out why in the he!! the Bachelor still has Vienna around.  (PS....I don't really beat my kids.)

No comments: