Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Attention Everyone!!!

Yesterday I layed on the couch for hours trying to make the best of being nauseated.  And, yes, I did say "hours" which means my children were on their own.  Don't call DCFS yet.  They all survived and are probably better for it.  I like to consider it "tough love".  I had plenty of time to think yesterday.  Lots of time actually.  I should've been watching TV but I couldn't find the remote and was too lazy to exert enough energy to search for it.  I tried to bribe the kids with a quarter to find it for me, but they were also unsuccessful.  So I snuggled up on  the couch and listened to my kids talk.  They were sitting at the dinner table eating lunch (that they had prepared themselves) giggling and laughing, when out of the blue I hear my 3 1/2-year-old yell, "I gotta go poo!"  Off he ran towards the bathroom.  A few second later I hear another yell from the same little boy who had just announced his upcoming bowel movement.  He exclaimed, "I got diahrrea!"  And shortly after that, here he came bare naked running through the kitchen and into the living room.  He threw his clothes on top of me and said, "Mom, I went poo.  It's diahrrea.  Put my clothes on."  I'll be honest.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  It's actually a daily ritual of sorts.  But why is this story blog worthy?  Come on!  If we all only had the innocence and honestly of a child, can you imagine what our lives would be like?  Had we been sitting at a restaurant and a grown man sitting at the table next to us announced, "I've gotta poo!" what would we have thought?  I for one would've laughed for sure.  In fact I probably would've laughed so hard that I would've found Diet Coke shooting out my nose or I would've had to stand and announce, "I just peed my pants!"  Why do children declare in all their glory, "I just farted!", "I just burped!", or "My bum is sore!"?  I for one don't have an answer.  But I do love their honesty. 

Now it's one thing to announce what is about to occur no matter how inappropriate it may be, but why oh why must a 3-year-old strip completely naked to go "number 2"?  This has baffled me since I potty trained my first child nearly seven years ago.  Is it in their genes?  It definitely isn't a learned behavior in our home because I have certainly never done it.  And as far as I know my husband doesn't do it.  But first of all, if you strip completely naked to sit on the pot, you would be cold.  That's not comfortable.  And secondly, the million dollar question is, what article of clothing were you afraid would interfere with your bowel movement?  Socks?  Seriously?  Good thing you took those off!

1 comment:

Blake and Lacy said...

Hey sicky...found your blog on facebook and hope you're feeling better. Let me know if you need some soup :)