Don't let the title of my blog scare you. This is my journal of thoughts, questions and everyday experiences. It has nothing to do with squeaky poo. I am the 33-year-old stay-at-home mother of five little monkeys who I think are amazing and hilarious. My life is a Grab Bag of entertainment. Not even I know what I'm gonna get. It's just a matter of realizing that often the difficult times are also the funniest and most entertaining. So bring on the squeaky poo!
Friday, January 6, 2023
We're Upside Down
In the midst of the Great Recession, Brian and I found ourselves in a pickle. Our company was failing. We owned a small business in Southern Utah. In the years leading up to 2008, we tried to live within our means, avoid large expenditures, and preserve our savings, but as the dominos fell, so did we.
In tears, Paige ran into the kitchen after school one day. One of her friends had told her that our family was "upside down". Paige said, "No, we're not." In her 7-year-old brain, being upside down couldn't be a good thing, especially when it was followed by laughter.
"Yes, you are," her friend chided. "My mom and dad were talking about your family and they said you are upside down."
Paige was terribly offended by this. "What does that mean, Mom?" I responded that it meant that we walked on the ceiling. She giggled. I told her not to worry about it. Our family was fine. Her friend was being silly.
That was the first time I realized that our family, our failure, our impending doom, was being discussed. I imagined our welfare being analyzed in church meetings, at playdates, and at family dinners. We were "upside down." Although I understand the term "upside down" in reference to debt, at that time, the rumors were not completely true. We weren't upside down. We were the recipients of a myriad of circumstances, most of which were out of our control, and we were screwed.
I don't blame that little girl for saying what she said. I don't blame her parents either. I believe that they were speaking to each other out of concern for us and their daughter simply overheard. I don't think the conversation was malicious, but it still stung to think that we were being discussed in hushed tones and with sighs of pity. I also know that that instance was not the first or the last time our family was the topic of conversation. And in the big scheme of things, being "upside down" isn't hurtful, but being talked about can be.
I learned a valuable lesson from that experience. Be careful what you say and who hears it. Unfortunately, I put my foot in my mouth on a daily basis. I also pray every day that those that I unintentionally hurt will forgive me.
After all, aren't we all a little "upside down?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment