Don't let the title of my blog scare you. This is my journal of thoughts, questions and everyday experiences. It has nothing to do with squeaky poo. I am the 33-year-old stay-at-home mother of five little monkeys who I think are amazing and hilarious. My life is a Grab Bag of entertainment. Not even I know what I'm gonna get. It's just a matter of realizing that often the difficult times are also the funniest and most entertaining. So bring on the squeaky poo!
Friday, January 6, 2023
It Was Time To Say Goodbye
When I was sixteen I unexpectedly found myself in a dark place, a secret dark place. I hid it well. My mother was the only one who knew me well enough to see through my smile. She took me begrudgingly to a doctor and told him I was depressed. He listened to her and then met with me privately. I knew what to say and easily convinced him otherwise. My mother was ticked when the doctor reported to her that I was a lovely young lady and she had no need to be concerned. We went home.
My parents had an old 1980-something Ford Bronco II. It was two-tone brown, manual transmission, and completely paid for. I had chosen it specifically for that reason. They wouldn't miss it. I drove it up to Providence Canyon. At the top of the canyon, there was a mountain of loose gravel. I had been there many times with my friends on our "digging" adventures. I easily maneuvered to the top of the hill and parked on the lip, looking back down the canyon from where I'd just traveled. This was a happy place, Providence Canyon. I had grown up here, shot BB guns here. If I was going to die, this is where I wanted it to be.
I parked the Bronco on the lip of the mountain and cried. I mourned my life, the failure that I thought I was, and every pain I had inflicted on others. I sobbed from my feelings of doubt and regret. I mourned the life I had lived as well as the life I wouldn't know. I was broken and empty inside. It was time to say goodbye.
I don't know how long I sat in that Bronco overlooking my passing, but I do know this, I was not alone. I didn't see angels or hear God's voice, but I knew He was there. I was important. I did have a purpose. My family loved me and this wasn't His plan for me.
I drove home slowly, allowing enough time to let my swollen eyes heal. No one knew where I had been and I never said a word. I got up the next day, and the next, and one day at a time, I survived. That was all I could do, and that was enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment