Friday, January 6, 2023

I Used to Wear Bifocals

I used to work from home. I used to wear bifocals. I don't do either anymore and one of the reasons is because of my mother. I look like my mom. Not just a little bit. I look like her a lot. My mom wears bifocals on occasion. If she's talking to you while she's wearing her bifocals, she'll set them on the end of her nose, tilt her head down, and look over her frames at whoever she's speaking with. It's a completely natural behavior for someone wearing bifocals. Between aging and working on a computer every day, my vision quickly declined. I reluctantly followed the doctor's advice and started wearing bifocals for reading. Working from home was both a blessing and a curse. My work desk was in the master bedroom so I could close the door and work privately when needed. It wasn't uncommon that I would work during the evening and late at night after the kids had gone to bed. One night, I was sitting at my desk working on my computer. Brian was laying in bed and we were talking. I turned around from my desk, lowered my bifocals, tilted my head down, and looked at him over the rim of my glasses. He had a blank stare on his face. I was confused. He said, "I can't take you seriously. You look like your mother. You probably shouldn't come to bed for a while. It's weird." As I said, I used to work from home. I used to wear bifocals. I don't do either anymore and one of the reasons is because of my mother.

No comments: