Friday, January 6, 2023

I'm Drinking From My Saucer

My Grandma Ruby is one of my heroes. Now, nearing 98 years on this earth, she still finds joy in the journey and expresses gratitude constantly. That doesn't mean that she doesn't complain. She is very vocal that she is "waiting for her transfer orders" and can't figure out why she's still here. That little human says it how it is. Her honesty is refreshing and inspiring and sometimes not politically correct. It doesn't matter if we talk on the phone or we visit in person, I am in awe of her and what she teaches me. She is spunky, strong, stubborn, and independent. If she can't reach something, she climbs on a chair. If she doesn't like your hair color, she'll tell you. She is as matter-of-fact as she is spiritual, truly a giant in her faith and service to others. In addition to her many quirks, behaviors, and qualities are her one-liners. In reference to having served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints during her youth she said, "Back then the sister missionaries were all of the fat rejects." When asked if she would let me speak at her funeral she said, "Oh, no! Emily will talk too long and tell too much!" One of my favorite sayings is, "My cup runneth over so I'm drinking from my saucer." Years ago I was talking to her on the phone complaining that our home didn't have any hot water. The water heater was broken and the owner of the home that we were renting wouldn't fix it. She replied that "When I was a child we didn't have running water or warm water for that matter. We filled up a tub and took turns washing. We got real good at spit baths too." At that moment my perspective changed. I was being so selfish and spoiled. My life wasn't hard! And grandma most certainly was not going to entertain my whining. I put my big girl pants on and taught my kids how to live without warm running water. It was a blessing, one that I will never forget. Every time I feel bad for myself, no matter the circumstances, I hear my grandma's voice speaking from her four-foot-something frame, "My cup runneth over so I'm drinking from my saucer." It is hard to feel sorry for yourself when you view life in that way. And because of her example, there are a handful of things that I am sincerely grateful for on a daily basis, one of which is warm running water. For more on that story, click here.

No comments: