Dew
Several years ago Handsome and I invited some of our neighbors over for dinner. We were fairly new to the area and wanted to get to know our new peeps. This couple was close to our age and starting a family. It was just perfect. Good food. Good company. Why not? Thanks to my friend, who was the wife of this couple, I was aware that her husband was a huge fan of ham. Since we raised and butchered a pig each year I thought there was no better occasion than this to pull a ham out of the freezer and cook it for dinner. I did just that along with some side dishes including funeral potatoes.
During this time of my life I had two small children, was most likely pregnant with my 3rd little one (because I was always pregnant back then) and was taking some classes at the university. I was busy and exhausted. My day times consisted of changing diapers, cleaning, cooking, feeding, etc., while my night life consisted of hitting the books from 10PM - 2AM while the house was quiet. Mt. Dew was my life line. (not much has changed)
As I prepared for my dinner company I ran to the store and bought myself a drink to help me stay awake and get all my work done around the house. Unfortunately, the Dew took over to create utter chaos. I accidentally doubled the butter in the potatoes. Oh well. No biggie. But then as our company arrived at the house and we sat down for dinner I got my second wind. My mouth literally would not stop talking. It was a freak of nature.
Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah....!!!
And that's how the remainder of the night went but at about 100 mph. After our company left Handsome informed me of how embarrassing and annoying I had just been. Two hours of babbling dinner conversation. Two LONG hours.
So to our unlucky company that night (you know who you are), my apologies. And whether it's true or just for the sake of my pride, I'm confident that having me for company that night wasn't near as ugly as the potatoes.
Why this story made the Top 10 with Handsome is crazy to me. And although I hate to admit it, there are many of you who have suffered through similar conversations with me. So sorry. Maybe it should be a standing rule that when I have a Dew my present company should have a stronger drink in their hand. Any opposed?
2 comments:
Awww, I thought you were gonna tell the "other" embarrassing couples dinner story. It invloves one said neighbor by the name of Brien H.
Hmmm, Brian distinctly remembers eating a nice ham dinner over at your house. Don't remember the potatoes being particularly greasy and as for that talking, well that just comes with the territory with Emily, but it is one of your charms. Not sure if that's the night your posting about but we had a good time. And isn't it about time to meet again for a late dinner/dessert. I am long overdue for some girl time and it has been way too long since we have caught up.
Post a Comment