| Chokecherry syrup, plum syrup & applesauce |
*There is a reason smart people buy their food at a grocery store rather than make it themselves. For starters it's cheaper and waaaaaaay easier. Let's take applesauce for instance. You've gotta pick the apples, wash the apples, cut the apples, cook the apples, mash the apples, strain the apples, sugar the newly made applesauce, cook the applesauce, bottle the applesauce, and process the applesauce. Delish? Yes. Messy? Yes. A workout? Yes.
*Canning home goods is much easier if you have a Camp Chef. You can cook inside and process outside. It's pretty much fabulous. But if you've never lit the Camp Chef yourself because your husband usually does it be very careful. It can result in singed eyebrows, eyelashes & peach fuzz.
*Oprah wasn't kidding when she gave us all a step by step guide on how to pluck eyebrows. Unfortunately my plucking this weekend ventured out of the Oprah designated perimeter. Singed hairs are better plucked than left alone. Trust me. Otherwise it's like have dozens of tiny dandelion balls all over your face. And as baffling as it is, Oprah didn't discuss what to pluck or not pluck in the case of a singeing emergency. I can truthfully plead ignorance.
*I've been reading a book that takes place in ancient China. At one point of the story the elderly Uncle Lu lost his position with the emperor and came home. This is what was said about him. "He had two moles on his face. All people cherish the hair on their moles, but Uncle Lu's were splendid. He had at least ten hairs--coarse in texture, white in color, and a good three centimeters long--sprouting from each mole." Wow! Why have I been plucking all these years? But seriously, I just threw up a little in my mouth.*Chocolate covered cinnamon bears = YUM!
*My mother is pretty much to the moon and back amazing. When I was a child she sewed all our clothes, canned our food, and made everything from scratch. As much as I joke about the downfalls of being dometic, I'm grateful for an incredible mother and an equally amazing grandmother who taught me everything I know. I'm glad to know the secrets of a dying trend even if I don't always love doing it.
3 comments:
SIL, tears are streaming from my eye! You are now a true candidate for mother of the year. What with the syrup and all! I am pretty that was the tipping point! I love you!
I recognize those brownies. There is no greater reward.
Awesome. All of it. Awesome. I love love love chocolate covered cinnamon bears, I have read that book, and I loved it, and I MISS YOU!!!
Post a Comment