Friday, October 15, 2010

School Pictures

My kids got their school pictures taken a couple of weeks ago.  School pictures are something that I like to buy but categorize as one of the biggest rip offs of all time.  Thank heaven for digital photography.  It reduces the need for retakes and can insure that eyes are open and nothing super weird is going on from the chest up.  No boogies.  No food in teeth.  It's kind of magical.  

The three oldest of my monkies are the only ones in school and therefore the only ones who would be getting school pics.  I decided to take CJ in to have a picture taken as well so that all the backgrounds would match and I could hang them on the wall together.  CJ sat on the stool waiting for the photographer to take the shot but instead of the flash going off the photographer asked him to put his chin down.  Rather than lowering his entire head, he just opened his mouth as wide as he could and stretched his chin to his chest.  Once again, thank you digital photography.  But here we are a couple weeks after the school photo shoot and all four school pictures are adorning my living room wall and all four little people look amazing.  Hair looks good.  Eyes are open.  Smiles are appropriate.  Well done.  Can't say the same for my school pics when I was their age.
1st grade

2nd grade
Check out my first grade photo.  I'm smiling, yes.  And my eyes are open, half way.  But there is something the picture left out that even digital photography wouldn't have changed.  That is the fact that I slept in that lovely turquoise striped jumpsuit the night before (yes, it was a full length jumpsuit made by my mother) so that I could sleep in longer and take less time getting ready in the morning.  Genius if you ask me.

My second grade pic shows the sad truth that I started doing my own hair.  Not bad for an 8-year-old.  But not that great either.  As for the Chicklets in my mouth....they are my real teeth.
 

5th grade
Fifth grade was a whole different story.  As 5th graders we were the oldest in the school and therefore the coolest.  No matter what my school pictures turned out like I knew I was still da bomb, especially since Steve T. was my boyfriend.  I had recently had my yearly perm done at the local beauty school and it was looking most fantastical.  My bangs rocked it that day after a little ratting.  And to hold it all in the place I'm sure there was a half empty can of aerosol hairspray.  Smokin' hot!  Then there was the matter of the perfect outfit.  No prob.  I found the most amazing overall culotte short set at the local mall while school shopping.  Mustard yellow with black plaid.  I was ready and on my way to smile pretty for the camera.  But as I was standing in the hall before class started that morning I overheard a couple of my friends around the corner talking about clothes.  I eavesdropped only to hear one of them describe this hideous ensemble they had seen at the mall.  It was shorts colored mustard yellow with black plaid.  Awful!  Wait a second, I thought.  They're talking about my culottes!  So uncool! 

2 comments:

BeckyB.West said...

I love that you posted this, because last time I was visiting home, I was looking through my scrapbook and old elementary school photos. Your turquoise and white jumpsuit is very eye-catching in our class photo with Mrs. Miles.

Tris said...

Oh my! This is one of my all time favorite of your posts. I was laughing out loud. Especially that your teeth looked like chiclets. And only you would think to sleep in your clothes to save time in the morning. You are so weird!