My little soon-to-be six-year-old son came home from school the other day so excited he could hardly stand it. He had a surprise! And bless his little heart, his surprise was a candy dish he had made, which he asked me to immediately fill with treats. As I looked at his little creation, permanently imprinted with his chubby little finger prints, I realized that it's moments like this that I'm truly grateful for. I mean, in all honesty, I'm grateful for a lot of things. I'm grateful for indoor plumbing and heating. I'm grateful for toilet paper and shoe laces. I'm grateful for elastics in my underwear. I'm grateful for modern medicine, freedom, and people that fight to protect it. I'm grateful for RedBox, Mt. Dew, and chocolate. I'm grateful for band-aids. I'm grateful for Clorox wipes. I'm grateful for #12 "The Beach" at Jimmy Johns. I'm grateful for Febreeze and smelly candles that make my life bearable on especially stinky days. I'm grateful for ice cream. I'm grateful for razors, deodorant and bras and people that use them. I'm grateful for music and Ipods and dance parties in the kitchen. I'm grateful for sleep. I'm grateful for religion and the freedom to worship however we choose. I'm grateful for good health. I'm grateful for incredible neighbors, friends, and family members. The list goes on and on and on and on......and on. I'm sure other people feel much like I do and find joy in not only the large celebrations of life but also the sweet little moments that really make us truly happy. Today I am most grateful for a homemade candy dish big enough to hold only 3 midgee Tootsie Rolls and even more grateful for the little hands that made it. I'm grateful for 3 more sets of little hands that make my life more entertaining, fun, unpredictable and worthwhile than I ever thought possible. I am also thankful for a tall, dark Mr. Handsome that gave me four little monkies and who makes me laugh everyday during the 10 o'clock news. Who knew the news could be so entertaining? He is the funniest man I know. So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I find myself unbelievably thankful. I hope we can all find plenty to celebrate and be thankful for as we endure even the simple mundane moments of life.
Happy Thanksgiving!
2 comments:
I love this post!!! I've always been a slacker in realizing my thankfuls..but I love being thankful for everything! Just like you said from toilet paper, freedom of religion and chubby perfect hands making us things!!
Thanks so much for this post.. I'm so grateful for blogs like this that make me laugh and make me happy!!
Happy Thanksgiving ~ Love you
I too love this post with a tear in my eye. And SIL I am thankful for you.
Post a Comment