Friday, November 12, 2010

Lazy....and I Can't Blame 'Em

Me:  Hey, do you wanna play winter basketball this year?

Ranger: Ahhhh, man!  Why do I have to decide right now? (whining)

Me: Well, first of all I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but sign ups are right now.  Games won't start til after Christmas.

Ranger: Ahhhh....why do they make you decide so early!  (sigh of disgust)

Me: (Wow!  And here I thought he'd be excited.)  You don't have decide right this second.  Just in the next couple of days.

Ranger: Ahhhhhh!  Why?!

Me: Fine.  If it's causing you that much inner turmoil then clearly you're not ready to play.  We'll skip this year and you can decide next year.

Ranger: Well, I don't know if I wanna play or not. 

Me: Why not? 

Ranger: I just don't know.

Me: Would it help if you played on a team with your sister or with your friends?

Ranger: I just really hate basketball cuz you have to run so much.  I don't like sports that you have to run.  And I really don't like bouncing the ball.

Me: Okay then.  If you don't like bouncing a ball and you don't like running then basketball probably isn't the sport for you.  How about football?

Ranger: Nope.  Too much running.

Me: Baseball?

Ranger: Hmmmm...well I really like to hit the ball but I hate to run around the bases.

Me: Soccer?

Ranger: Well, at least it doesn't have as much running as basketball. 

Me: (WTH?)  Wrestling?

Ranger: Well, what do you do?

Me: Wrestle other boys to the ground and put them in headlocks and stuff.  (short demonstration)

Ranger: Ummmm....what do you have to wear?

Me: A leotard.

Ranger:  (mortified expression...scared eyes...mouth open...speechless...dumbfounded)

Me: (Dang!  I lost him at leotard!  Screw it.  He can be a musician.)

3 comments:

ellie g said...

hello? Our sons could be twins.

Mine doesn't want to do anything that requires extra effort on his part. He was signed up for Basketball this morning. I just told him it was happening.

And I will regret it every single second that I have to listen to the incessant whining. I know it's coming. I need to embrace sitting interests for him. But I'm sure he'd find a way to complain about those too.

Let's ship them all to a desert island and have them fend for themselves. We'll go get pedis.

Stacy said...

Now THAT'S funny!

noncamper said...

Soccer has LESS running than basketball? Boy has he been misled?