Thursday, June 2, 2011

Run Forest Run

I ran too far away from home yesterday and couldn't make it back. 

The morning started lovely.  I was surprisingly spry for 6:30 a.m.  The weather was perfect.  Not too hot.  Not too cold.  My Ipod was charged.  Earphones snug.  And off I went into the unknown. 

About 6.5 miles later I was tired.  Not just a little tired.  Really tired.  Dizzy tired.  I couldn't figure it out.  I had been running pretty regularly for several weeks and had done more than 6.5 miles only a week ago.  Buck up, soldier, I said.  So I put on a strong face and continued.  But that only lasted until the next telephone pole arrived and at that point I stopped.  Shakey.  Sore.  Fatigued.  Pissed off.  How do I get home now?  I don't want to run.  My right hip feels like it's out of socket.  My butt is sore and reeling from rigorous bouncing.  I can feel my 2nd toenail holding on for dear life.  Why?  Why do I even try to run?  I don't enjoy it.  In fact I nearly hate it.  Despise it almost.  Since when does my body not react like it did when I was 15?  It's so sad because I feel and act like I'm 15.  Why can't my mind and my body get on the same page already?  Dang you mind and body!  But I'm not getting home standing still.  So I started walking.  I walked, and I walked, and I walked.  Just like the pioneers only wearing better shoes.  I could see my house across the river.  If I cut straight through it was only a mile.  But the road wouldn't conform.  It had to wind and twist making my journey farther and more painful.  My cell phone was in my pocket.  I could easily call Handsome.  He was surely home getting ready for work & would come to the rescue.  But, no.  He would laugh at me.  I would be "the girl who ran too far away from home and couldn't make it back".  Ha-ha.  Funny joke.  Nope.  Definitely not calling.  I still had my pride at that point.  But then I realized what time it was.  The bus would be coming to pick the kids up for school in 30 minutes.  Crap!  So I took one for the team and started running.  I guess you can call it that.  It was maybe more of a quickened shuffle.  Before long a string of road bikes came flying by.  Suckers.  They think they're so fast with their wheels & pedals & spandex.  I wish I had wheels right now.  About a mile from my house a familiar truck pulled up.  Handsome!  He was on his way to work and came looking for me since I hadn't come home.  As much as I wanted to beg for a ride home my ego wouldn't let me do it.  He asked if I was okay.  I said, yes.  Then he started to turn around.  What were you thinking?!  Moron!  Ask him for a ride already!  Who runs too far from home and then passes up a ride?  Nope.  I won't do it.  I will make it home.  I'm not that girl.  Then Handsome rolled down his window and asked if I wanted a ride home.  YES!!!  I almost cried I was so relieved.  Pride shmride.  Who needs it?  I slowly pulled myself up into the truck and was home within seconds.  Seconds!  Wow!  And to think it would've taken me much longer to achieve that distance.  Hallelujah!  Thank you, Handsome! 

And yes, I am that girl.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Yeah, running sucks.