Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Party For One

Yesterday I made my regular drive down to the local Maverick to buy myself a Mt. Dew.  Teeny Sister and I were having ourselves a nice little dance party in the van as we made the 1 mile drive.  In fact, I was quite enjoying myself.  And the fact that Teeny Sister was laughing at me just egged me on.  By the time we reached the gas station I got out of my car only to discover that the back of the van was open.  

What the...???????

Wait a minute....

Was that open before I got here?  I didn't drive here with that open did I?  Maybe I accidentally hit the button on the key chain when I pulled in.  Hmph....

As I was unbuckling Teeny Sister from her car seat I dropped my Maverick cup in a puddle of water in the parking lot.  Doh!  So I picked it up only to drop it again!  Crap!  This time it rolled under the van.  No worries.  I can figure this out.  And sure enough I did.  With the cup in one hand and my little sidekick in the other arm we headed into the store.  

After filling my cup with ice cold deliciousness I remembered that we were out of garbage bags and had been for a few days.  I grabbed an overpriced box of Glad garbage bags and went to pay for my goods.  I then retreated to the parking lot and loaded Teeny Sister into the van only to discover that she was only wearing one shoe.  Dang it!  Where did we lose it?  I unbuckled my sweet baby girl and we headed back into the store to look for her shoe, which we found and laughed about as we awkwardly made our way back to our van....again.

When we returned home I quickly cleaned the garbage can with what I consider one of the best inventions of all time....Clorox Wipes.  Teeny Sister and I then proceeded to play one of my favorite games, "Find That Smell".  The house reeked of dirty dishes from the kids baking the day before, a dirty garbage can, and poopy diapers.  But what exactly was causing the most stink was a mystery.  I cleaned the kitchen, did the dishes, and even started baking to cover up the stink.  It took a while, but eventually I succeeded.  

Smell found and conquered!

Then there was a new smell.  A fresh smell.  A little person not potty trained smell.  And so, I attacked.  I conquered again.  And then I reached for the Febreeze.  But while doing so, Teeny Sister took the poopy diaper that I had just set aside to take outside and she ran with it.  And she hid it.  Ugh!  Back to playing "Find That Smell"!

My day continued much as it had started.  I was a circus.  A party for one some might say.  And, yes, I was enjoying every minute of it.  I was laughing.  I was cussing.  I was happy.  And as I laid in bed last night thinking about what a day in the life of me consists of, I smiled.  Because although my days might be messy and stinky and embarrassing, my life is all of those things because of the people I share it with.  Yes, the dance parties and van door being open and many other unintentional mishaps might be self inflicted.  But the rest of it.....it's just imperfectly perfect.  

No comments: