Thursday, January 2, 2014

Off To A Good Start

Christmas vacation with the kids home from school has been a blast!  It was very bitter sweet sending them off today and trying to get back into the swing of our "normal" life.  For the past week we've eaten junk food, stayed up late, slept in, and become zombies of technology with new phones, Ipods, and tablets.  As the responsible adult that I am in our home, I figured it was just temporary, so....enjoy! 

After a late night party full of junk food and soda on New Year's Eve, not only did Teeny Sister keep me up all night because she had a belly ache, but the much bigger sister, Lil G was up once again with one of her infamous stomach aches.  And let me explain that when Lil G is tired and complaining of something during the middle of the night she is not rationale but rather a total lunatic.  It is awful!  I, again being the responsible and compassionate mother that I am, faked asleep during round 1 of Lil G's tummy aches.  Handsome, however, was wide awake.  This is the conversation I overheard.

Lil G: Dad, my stomach hurts.  I feel like I'm gonna throw up.
Handsome: It's because you ate too much junk food.  G, go to sleep.
Lil G: Dad, I can't! (holding her belly)
Handsome: Well, you can either go to sleep and tough it out or I can punch you in the stomach and make you throw up so you can get it over with.  
Lil G: DAAAAAAD!  Can't I just sleep with you?
Handsome:  No.
Lil G: Why not?
Handsome: Because. 
Lil G: But it makes me feel better to sleep with you.  I don't wanna sleep downstairs.
Handsome: Too bad.  Go to bed.  
Lil G: Whhhhhhyyyyy?  Please?
Hansome: No.  It's not going to fix anything.  Come here and let me punch ya in the stomach.  You'll feel better once you throw up.
Lil G: Ugh! (stomping her foot)  

After G left the room I busted up laughing.  Handsome turned and started chuckling too.  I said, "So that is your solution?  Good parenting!"  We both laughed.  He, of course, would never hit her.  But we both knew that she wouldn't throw up either.  We know this because we play this game regularly.  It's not our first rodeo with Lil G!  Once Handsome fell asleep, Lil G started visiting my side of the bed for rounds 2, 3, and 4.  I took a more sensitive approach and didn't offer her a beating to initiate the upchuck of soda and candy that she had inhaled all night.  But I did not let her sleep in my bed either.   I knew, after years of experience, that she was half asleep and arguing with her would do nothing.  My strategy was to wear her down.  It was obvious that she was exhausted and would eventually fall asleep with or without a belly ache.  And she did.  

I'm not sure what your New Year's Resolutions are.  I'm not sure what mine are either.  That's my plan for this week is to put some together.  But to start the early hours of the new year off by listening to the above conversation not only gave me the resolve to be more patient and a better mother, but it also reminded me how grateful I am for Handsome and his twisted since of humor.  He makes me laugh everyday and I look forward to that in the upcoming year.  

No comments: