Our family had one of those adventurously hellish mornings the other day. After the events of the morning I delivered my kids to school late and stood at the office signing them in. I have always hated the part of the sign in sheet that asks for the reason the child is late. In my mind I always figured, what business is it of yours or anybody else's why my child is late? Maybe they're late because I slept in. Maybe they're late because they slept in. Maybe they're late because they didn't have any clean clothes and I forgot to start the dryer. I'm the parent! My child can be late when I say they can be late! Right? But that particular morning I was more than stumped as I stared at the box labeled "Reason". I didn't even know what to write. Should I write that we went as a family to visit a newly built temple? Should I write that our van broke down in the canyon and was still sitting there waiting for the tow truck? Should I write that I stopped at the house before taking them to school so I could grab a Dew and feed the baby? All of those things, although true, would've raised the eyebrows of Ms. Patty, the secretary, and made her, along with others, seriously question my parenting. So to make it simple and easy I found myself scribbling in the "Reason" box, "family conflict". As soon as I reread what I had written I realized that all of my previous thoughts and ideas would've sounded better than that. Family conflict? Really? WTH?! That's the best I could come up with on the fly?! Great! Now it just sounds like we were fighting all morning. And in reality, that wasn't far from the truth.
(I found this post that I had written several months ago. For some reason I never posted it. Maybe it was a sign that I should rethink blogging and posting in general. But I'm posting it late just so that I can have record of it, because this day, the "adventurously hellish" one, is worth remembering.)
No comments:
Post a Comment