Monday, January 31, 2011

Why Every Woman Needs a BFF

Everyone needs a best friend.  And not just a a really good friend but a real BFF.  In this case, for those of us who are married, we could argue that our husbands are our best friends.  Good.  Whatever.  They should be.  But what about a real BFF that does things a husband can't and never would?  Now that's what I'm talking about.  I'm lucky and pretty popular so I have lots of best friends.  It doesn't mean I'm not popular just because I was born with 3 best friends (my mom and two sisters) and through marriage was blessed with 4 more (sister-in-laws and a MIL).  I still like to attribute it to my charming personality and zany sense of humor.  But blood lines and marriage aside, I do have some incredible best friends.  No relation.  No genetic connection.  No common biological thread.  Just girlfriends. 

The relationship of best friends goes beyond hours of talking, venting and listening, beyond painfully side splitting laugher, and beyond deep conversations and tears.  A best friend will tell you if you have food in your teeth.  A best friend will motion that the booger in your nose is uncomfortably noticeable.   A best friend will warn you that "the toothbrush" story or "the burrito" dance is not appropriate for certain occasions.  You're not offended by the advice of a best friend but rather you respect it and listen knowing that they have your best intentions in mind. 

I have a best friend.  She's amazing.  I can trust her.  With that in mind, I made her swear to an agreement years ago, that should I ever become paralyzed or incapacitated in a way that I can not take care of my personal daily grooming, she will come and pluck and shave my facial hair.  That's it.  I don't ask much.  And just because I'm paralyzed or severely handicapped, I know she'll still love me and and want me to look my best.  I guarantee that you are wondering why I didn't ask her to watch out for my kids or take care of my family should something ever happen to me.  Well, I know that there is a line of people who love my husband and monkies beyond measure and that my family will be generously taken care of.  But my whiskers!  I don't want whiskers.  And my husband would never think to shave or pluck my facial hair.  He would be repulsed by them, but he wouldn't dare touch them.  That is precisely why I have a best friend. 

So here's to best friends.  Here's to girlfriends.  Because really, ladies, what would we do without them?  I love you, Best Friend.  And I still hold you to our agreement.  Know that if needed I will happily return the favor.  No judgements.  No questions asked.  Because that's what best friends are for.  And bottom line....no woman wants whiskers.

1 comment:

KarKar said...

So so true.. and so so funny!!

Chris would pluck my whiskers and if I wasn't on the same isle with him while getting some KOTEX pads, he would yell, "with wings and odor blocker??" Sometimes I wonder about him..but just like you said, "being married, your spouse should be your BFF", right??

BF's sadly come and go, even if there is some blood line there. So I'm ever so grateful for my "female" BF's who make me giggle until I pee and let me know its going to be alright when I cry...just nothing like people loving YOU!!

I LOVE YOU!! Blood relation or not!!!